Monday, March 3, 2014

A celebration of 10 years of life

So, here is one good thing that happened in February!  This year marks ten years since I got in my bad car accident and was in a coma for a month, and in the hospital for 2 1/2 months.
So, yeah, that is what I looked like ten years ago.  The accident was on February 16, 2004.  My family wanted to celebrate February 16, 2014, because it was kind of a big deal that it really has been 10 years.

It is tradition in the Davis family to go up to the cabin for President's Day weekend.  We had things going Friday and Saturday and Sunday, so I asked Chris if he wanted to go to the cabin for just a day after church.  He said that sounded fine, and my mom did too, so that was the plan.

So, this year, for Valentine's Day, Chris said that he was going to take me on a date.  He said that Grandma and Grandpa were going to be our babysitters.  I thought that was EXTREMELY nice of them, and was happy to go on a date.  Chris kept saying that there was going to be a big surprise involved.  Little did I know . . .

I wanted to go see the movie Frozen, and it was playing at 6:30.  Chris said we couldn't go because it was at the wrong time.  I was confused.  So Chris got tickets to the Lego Movie, which was also very cool.  He texted my mom and I and said that we were going to leave at 5:30, then later said that it was changed to 6, because that would work better for my mom.  I wondered why my mom had so much to say about our date, but whatever . . .

So we went out to eat at the Thai Kitchen, which was CRAZY on Valetine's Day, and then we went to the Lego Movie.  On our way to pick up Davis (or so I thought), I told Chris that I needed to ask my mom a question about making my new drapes.  My mom had texted him earlier and said that Davis was asleep (a miracle!), so Chris said that would be fine.

We showed up at my parents' house, and my WHOLE FAMILY except for Casey (obviously) and Colby and Maria (who got snowed into DC) surprised me!  There was a big banner in my parents' living room, which looked like this:
After we dropped off Davis, my parents spent the next few hours scurrying around and getting everything ready for the party, and Taylor and Carter and their families showed up for the surprise as well.
It was a wonderful weekend, where we celebrated the joy of being alive.  We went to the temple on Saturday, which was wonderful, and I was able to spend the weekend with family.

And, no, we did not go to the cabin.  But Mom and Chris made it a very funny joke in all the planning!


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Still wishing we could have been there. Love you, Tina!!! Extra glad I get to know you in person, since you lived.