There have been several things that I have learned from my years as an educator on parenting. I have seen many many good examples of things that parents can do to help their children continue to be successful, and become successful adults and contributing members of society. I have also seen many examples of things that should NOT be done in order to create successful individuals. In fact, some of these things would most likely only create criminal-type behaviors in your people. Here are some of my examples.
As a parent, DON'T:
- Allow your children to have a TV in their bedroom
- Allow your children to have a computer with internet access in their bedroom
- Allow children to go to bed with their cell phone
- Blame teachers for mistakes that your children make, i.e. leaving their cell phone on and having it ring in class. That is the children's fault--not the teacher's!
- Believe everything that teenagers and young adults say. They don't MEAN to lie. It is unintentional. They are just trying to save face.
- Assume that your child is perfect in every way, and would never DREAM of doing anything bad.
- Give teachers the benefit of the doubt, until you know the full story. Usually, the teacher's story is much different from the student's story.
- Instill in your children a thirst and love of knowledge. Encourage them to attend school and learn all that they can.
- Help your children to become good citizens that are appropriate in most circumstances.
- Teach your children to be polite.
- Teach your children the value of good friends, and make sure that they choose the right people to hang out with. The value of friends is so influential on a child's life!