Sunday, May 20, 2018

Shoulders

Chris called me from school one day, right after noon. This wasn't a strange occurrence; he does that every now and then. But this phone call was, well, special.
Chris: Hi, babe. How are you.
Me: I'm fine. How are you?
Chris: Actually, I'm in a lot of pain. I'm pretty sure I just dislocated my shoulder, and I'm going to the hospital.
Me: So . . . would you like me to be there?
Chris: Yes please
So, I called my parents' house. My dad said that dislocated shoulders are very very painful, which I can imagine.  I got ahold of my mom, and she came to get my kids and take them to her house while I went to the hospital. (It's so nice to live by them!!!)
At the hospital, he was in a lot of pain. It took a lot to X-ray his shoulder. They concluded that it was, in fact, dislocated and needed to be put back together. They gave him some medicine to knock him out, and three doctors put his shoulder back together. Hearing the POP was gut-wrenching!
We went to the doctor, who I actually know from Junior High, a week later. We were under the impression that he would say that everything was fine, and nothing more would need to happen. After an X-ray, MRI, and CT scan, we found out that surgery was necessary. The day before surgery was actually our anniversary, so we grabbed a babysitter and went to dinner and a movie.

The next day was Chris's surgery, which was a pretty long day:

We've learned that you actually use your shoulder a lot! (Not that it was new information to us)
There's a lot you can't do when you don't have full use of both arms. For example:
  • Shave your face
  • Do the dishes
  • Empty the trash
  • Help in the garden
  • Clean the house
  • There's a myriad of other things that just don't work . . . but he's getting a lot better! Once again, physical therapy is fabulous and intriguing to see the help they give his shoulder!

No comments:

Post a Comment