Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Surgery

I had major surgery today. After years of being afflicted with a deviated septum, this summer I took some steps to do some thing about it.

My father-in-law recommended a surgeon he went to medical school with at the university of Utah. He ordered a sleep study which was an interesting experience.

The sleep study was both the best and worst night’s sleep I have ever had. It was the best in that I slept all through the night without periodically waking p throughout the night as has been my wont for about as long as I can remember. It was the worst night’s sleep because all the wires and connection points were very uncomfortable. I don’t think I ever made it to REM sleep, but felt it was all worth it because my Dr. diagnosed me as having mild sleep apnea and recommended that I lose weight and do some other things that help me overcome this affliction.

Well, today, August 11th, was the third time in my life I underwent major surgery.

Tina and I showed up at the appointed time at the outpatient center. Shortly after checking in, I was called back where I underwent preop stuff. They took my weight, blood pressure, hooked me up to an IV, and had me change into some hospital clothes.

We then sat around for a long time waiting for the anesthesiologist to come in and work her magic. She did, and I was out like a light. I woke up five minutes later in the recovery room. Well, it seemed like five minutes because general anethstesia completely knocks you out.

I had some trouble breathing when I was waking up. The nureses had to remind me to keep breathing. I guess I did’t feel the need because I was hooked up to an oxygen mask that pretty much did it for me. But, I decided that I wanted to go home, so I complied with the nurses’ request to breathe. Breathing on your own always seems to be a good idea.

For a while it seemed like I was going to throw up. I swallowed a bunch of blood which is never a good idea. But, thankfully I did not puke. Just felt like it. So, they gave me some more drugs.

After that, I went to another recovery room where I sat for a while until I could stand up. Then they wheeled me out to the car and the Tina took me home. I spent the rest of the evening just hanging out and enjoying the benefits of concentrated opiates.

I slept with my shirt off because I was not supposed to put anything over my head for a while.

So all in all, things are going well. I am glad to have my wife, my health, the gospel and a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment