Thursday, May 10, 2012

What We've Been Up To . . .

I think this picture pretty much sums it up.  Yes, it is true.  I am pregnant!

Here is the story, in case you care . . .
As you remember from earlier, we had an in vitro procedure.  This involved visiting the doctor every other morning for two weeks, and then undergoing the procedure, and then coming back for the embryo implant.  By the way, we got a picture of the embryos before they were implanted.  They were the CUTEST EVER!  My brothers were a little jealous, because they did not have pictures of embryos when they got pregnant!  Anyhow, after the implant, it was a two week wait . . .
. . . And then . . .
They told us what day we could take the pregnancy test on Friday, and I woke up at 2:30 in the morning, needing to go to the bathroom.  So, I woke up Chris and told him that I was going to go find out.  He was excited, and I took the "whiz quiz," and came back and told him that he was going to be a daddy!  We were up for about two hours, just being excited about being parents! 
The next day, after school, we went to the Reproductive Care Center for a blood test.  They said that if the pregnancy test came back positive, I was DEFINITELY pregnant.  Sure enough, they called the next day and said that I was pregnant.  We scheduled an ultrasound right before we were heading home for the weekend.
Ultrasounds are a lot of fun, because you get to SEE your baby.  I was used to them not being so fun, but I am now a fan.  They are not so fun when you just see your insides, but when there is a BABY in those insides, it is a lot more enjoyable.  The doctor did the ultrasound, and found a healthy baby.  Chris said, "Are you sure there is just one," and the doctor answered that he would check.  Sure enough, he found another baby, in the same sac as the first one.  That meant that they were mono mono twins, which can be pretty scary.
We were pretty excited.  We went home, and traveled with my family to the cabin.  On the way, we came up with names.  With a lot of work narrowing them down, we decided that they would be called LaVerne and Shirley as girls and Ernie and Bert if they were boys.  We were praying for them to form their own sacs, and were pretty confident that they would.
After getting back from going home, we went to the OBGYN.  She affirmed that we needed to see a perinatologist, and an appointment was made for that a couple of weeks later.
We went to the perinatologist, and had another ultrasound done.  They found a healthy baby, who was measuring to be 9 weeks along, which is exactly what it was.  However, another baby was not found.  They finally found a mass, and let us know that our baby had passed away.  They said that it was nothing that I did, and they would probably never even know it when our baby is delivered.  But the good news was, we were having one healthy baby, which is all we ever hoped for!  So we are back to the original name plans--yet to be told!
We went back to the OBGYN a couple of weeks later, and she said that she actually had the same situation happen.  She said that it was probably because she was able to do an early ultrasound that she found out that she was having twins to begin with as well.  She had a healthy baby, and nothing was ever discovered about the twin.  That is comforting to know, and makes us think that more people probably start out with twins than we could know.
So, now I am twelve weeks along.  You can tell that I am pregnant, just by a little:
We are pretty excited and glad that the baby is healthy!
So, will I be teaching next year?
I will probably go back to school, unless something drastic happens in our family, and teach until our baby is born.  Then I will take maternity leave, then leave the school and be a stay-at-home mom.
How does our family feel about it?
They are very excited.  In my family, this baby will have two cousins born in the same year.  In two years, that should be a lot of fun!
How am I feeling?
Actually, all things considered, I am feeling fabulous!  I know that I am pregnant, because if I go a while without eating anything, I definitely know that I need to eat.  I used to feel a little nauseated in the morning, but that is now all but gone.  I will definitely not complain that I have had no throwing up! 

6 comments:

  1. Teena that is SOOO exciting!! I am THRILLED for you! What a journey. So sorry about the other baby, but what a relief that there is definitely one healthy baby. And you're lucky that you're feeling so good. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina! I saw your update on facebook and came here to read the full story. I am SO, SO happy for you! What a journey bringing babies into this world can be. That little one will surely have lots of love. Maybe someday our children will get to play together--maybe they will even travel to London together someday and eat strawberries and cream! Congratulations!!
    Amy Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow tina, how exciting! i am so happy for you! you guys will be the best parents. (well, truth be told, i don't know your husband-- but if you chose him he's bound to be great. :) ) keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay that's so wonderful and I know how long you've waiting! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you!!! That is so fantastic. There are little things I miss by not teaching but there are a million things I think I'd really miss if I wasn't home with my girls. You'll love it... but it is an adjustment. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete